Sweet Bread and Butter Pickles
Let’s make some homemade, sweet bread and butter pickles, canning cucumbers is a great way to have homemade crunchy flavors all year. This is one of my passions aside from gardening. I’m going to teach you how to make bread and butter pickles. Super easy. I’ll show pictures and then you can print the recipe at the bottom. Have some comments or questions just ask.
Quick and Easy to Make
This recipe and instructions are for water bath canners. You can make these as refrigerated pickles as well without canning.
You will need One pot big enough to put your jars in, I use the Ball Fresh Tech water bath canner, it’s one of my staple canning supplies. A box of canning jars, cucumbers*, vinegar, and lots of sugar (4 lb bag will be enough.) I used a package of Mrs gages bread and butter pickle mix. It makes it super easy, I’ll show you why.
Instructions for sweet bread and butter pickles
1 Start by boiling the water in your water bath canner or your pot on the stove.
2. Wash and cut the cucumbers, slice off the ends and cut them accordingly to your liking, I like thick cut, some people like them thin or in spears. Once the cucumbers are sliced, put them in a bowl and set them aside. Before you start making the mix go ahead and throw your jars into the hot water to sterilize them.
3. Get out your pot and you are going to put in 7 cups of sugar, 6 3/4 cups of vinegar, one Mrs. Gage bread
4. Mix. Let this simmer for 10 mins until everything is completely dissolved.
5. Remove your jars out of the water and start putting the cucumber slices in as much as you can. This is the time to make sure the cucumbers are packed well.
6. Ladle the liquid from the pot over the cucumbers. Leave some headroom in the jar. You want to wipe the outside of the jar, put the band on making sure you are lightly twisting it, but don’t twist it tight.
7. Place the jars in the hot pot or canner, put the lid on, turn to
You are almost done
8. Set a timer. Trust me this is a great help when canning. Having a reminder will guarantee a successful can, Under canning will mean you need to do it again the process didn’t take, over canning your food will be mushy inside the jar.
9. Take the jars out, put them on a towel and let them set, you will start hearing the pings of the lids. That sounds tells you they are sealed and preserved. Twist the lids to make them tighter. You can use a jar twister if needed. It is a tool that goes on the id and twists the bands to make a tight seal. Your done, store them in a pantry until you are ready to use.
If you are making these as refrigerated pickles you would omit steps 7-9 , make sure your lids are on tight and store them for up to 3 weeks in your fridge.
Happy Pickle Making :)!
*The number of cucumbers vary with how many jars you are wanting to can. On this particular packet that I used with this recipe, I used roughly 15 pickling cucumbers from the garden, small to medium-sized. I used one 12 pack of small pint jars, regular mouth.
Bread and Butter Pickles
- Water Bath canner or large pot
- Mason jars
- 1 packet Mrs Wages bread and butter pickle mix
- 6 ¾ cups Vinegar
- 7 cups Sugar
- 10-15 small to med Cucumbers
- wash cucumbersslice to your likingmix all ingredients in pot simmer for 10 mins stiring continouslypack pickles in jarspour liquid over cucumbers leaving some space between lid and liquidlightly screw on band over lid on jarput in canner or pot for 15 minutes boil remove let cool you will hear pings from lids on jar.