Easy, Clean Ranch Dressing you can make
Have you read what ingredients are in the most popular ranch dressing on the shelf? It’s gross. So let’s make a ranch dressing that is clean and super easy to make.
First lets look at these ingredients: Vegetable oil (soybean and/or canola), water, egg yolk, sugar, salt, cultured nonfat buttermilk, natural flavors (soy), less than 1% of: spices (mustard), dried garlic, dried onion, vinegar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, monosodium glutamate, artificial flavors, disodium phosphate, sorbic acid ,and calcium disodium
The first ingredient is vegetable oil, not the best but not the worse either. Less than 1% of the spices are actually in the dressing. Next is monosodium glutamate, it is a flavor enhancer, which makes you thirsty. It is claimed to cause asthma, headaches and even brain damage, For this reason, MSG has been labeled an excitotoxin. Xantham Gum is a thickener compound made by mixing aged (fermented) sugars with a certain kind of bacteria. Xanthan gum swells in the intestine, which stimulates the digestive tract to push stool through. It also might slow the absorption of sugar from the digestive tract.
Artificial Flavors in a ranch dressing ? I guess the less then 1% spices don’t flavor much for them to include artificial flavors. Disodium products as the 3 mentioned above, known to cause migraine headaches and can also cause diarrhea. They can also cause a sudden rapid heart rate (up to 160 beats per minute) and also trigger anxiety attacks. These are enhancers to add a salty savory taste to the food, even if a product does not have MSG in it and has this it is the same item.
Most dressings have these ingredients in them so take a look when buying your next bottle. I have a awesome recipe down below to make your own.
(My content does not constitute a medical consultation. See a certified medical professional for diagnosis)
Dry Ranch Mix
- 6 tsp Dill, dried
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 8 tsp onion flakes or onion powder
- 1/2 cup dried Parsley
- 2 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- Mix all of these dry ingredients in a jar with a lid, shake each time to distribute the mix.
Once you have the dry ingredients you can make ranch dressing anytime by just adding mayonnaise, sour cream, and milk. If you don’t want to make a dry mix then here is a ready-made dressing. Store this in your pantry for months.
Homemade Ranch Dressing
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried dill
- 1 medium green onion chopped
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic or 1/2 tbsp of minced jar garlic
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or whole milk I use 2% milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley or dried
- Use a mason jar with a lid it will be easierAdd Mayo and Sour cream then mix in buttermilkmix in parsley, garlic, green onion, dill, salt, and pepperput the lid on jar and shake or stir. Refrigerate overnight. You can mix this in the blender or food processor, but it will be less thick. You can use plain yogurt as well if you don't have mayo or sour cream on hand.
Making this yourself you will enjoy the dressing knowing you know what you put in it. Happy eating :)!.