Oh My Saimin. The best soup on earth.
Have you had the luxury of eating saimin.? This is a comfort, happy dish for me. I grew up eating this Hawaiian soup. It’s a bit of comfort and a piece of home each time I eat this, It brings back happy memories. If you have ever been to an Asian country or Hawaii, then more then likely you have eaten it. It’s a warm sultry beef broth. It has soft egg noodles, green onions,Napa Cabbage , fish cake,( Naruto) and scrambled egg. There is spam or char siu pork. On the side is hot chinese mustard and bean sprouts. The chinese mustard is fantastic to add some spice to the broth. My husband adds siracha and plenty of it. Sometimes depending on how you feel like making this. You can put all 3 meats in, or one.
Hawaiian Born and made
I have eaten Saimin all over the Pacific and the best place to me is Shige’s Saimin Stand in Wahiawa, Hawaii. It is a small restaurant deep in the town of Wahiawa on the north side of Oahu. There are saimin shops everywhere in Hawaii. It is served at most restaurants, drive inns and on the side of the road all over Hawaii. Saimin was developed during Hawaii’s plantation era. It includes elements from Chinese, Filipino, Japanese, Korean, Hawaiian and Portuguese cultures. Saimin is super easy to make. Most Asian markets have all the ingredients needed to make this fantastic bowl of happy at home. There are different ways to make it and the different ingredients you can put in.
The original bowl of Happy
- 1 Pack 10 oz refrigerated fresh Ramen Noodles (sun noodle brand works great)
- 1 box beef or chicken stock
- 1 pack Frozen or fresh fish cake sliced optional
- 1 medium green onion sliced
- 1 can Spam thinly sliced you will use half can
- 1 head Chinese Cabbage sliced.
- 4 oz Char siu Pork optional
- 1. on stovetop heat chicken or beef stock bring to a boil. 2. Add Noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally. Noodles should be soft but have a firm bite to them do not cook too long about 3 minutes or else they will be mushy. 3. Turn off heat 4. Scramble one egg in a separate pan. Set aside.5. Add sliced spam or fish cake, scrambled egg, Chinese cabbage, and sliced green onions.
I love being able to make this at home. This is quick and easy, clean eating. When you make this yourself add the kind of meat you like. I sometimes add just spam, or I add the fish cake. Have any comments or questions?